Monday, July 5, 2010

White-tailed deer family, July 5, 2010

My resident white-tailed doe brought her fawns to visit my back yard this morning. I've been seeing her frequently eating mulberries under my trees, but this is the first time I've seen her babies. I got some pictures through the window--these are rural deer and they're very shy. I want to keep them that way because they'll be hunted come fall.


Here they are.


The fawns are quite different in size. This is the smaller one. I don't know if this indicates gender or not.

This is the bigger one.


Another theory from The Yearling:
"Hit were mighty cute spotted, Pa."
"Was the spots all in a line, or helter-skelter?"
"They was all in a line."
"Then hit's a leetle ol' buck-fawn....."

If Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings knew her stuff, then these are both girls.


I don't know how old they are. They spent a lot of time nibbling on greenery, so they may be on the way to being weaned.....

....But they're not there yet evidently.

No comments:

Post a Comment